Smooth and powerful V-twin engine for performance and long life
Key engine features:
- 23 hp (17.2 kW) provides plenty of power.
- Large 44.3-cu in. (726-cc) displacement provides excellent torque.
- V-twin, 90-degree cylinder design allows for easy starts, excellent power and performance, and smooth operation.
- Engine model is FR691V.
- Many quality features are included.
- Cast-iron cylinder liners provide a long-wearing surface for longer engine life.
- Overhead V-valves allow the engine to breathe easily for excellent power and fuel economy.
- Automatic compression release provides easy starting.
- Internally vented carburetor maintains proper fuel mixture and minimizes emissions.
- Fuel shutoff solenoid stops excess fuel from entering the exhaust system and causing after bang upon shut down
- Full-pressure lubrication system provides plenty of oil to the engine’s moving parts to ensure reliable operation and long life:
- No-tools oil drain is convenient to use.
- A flexible drain tube can be placed above a drain pan to eliminate oil spills.
- Replaceable oil filter keeps the oil cleaner for a longer engine life and extends the time between oil changes.
- A rotating metal grass chopper screen helps keep the engine fins clean by filtering out debris and reducing the size of material that gets through so it will pass harmlessly past the engine fins.
- The guard keeps out large pieces of debris and provides protection from the rotating fan.
Engine oil check/fill and drain tube
Engine debris chopper fan guard |
- The air filter system thoroughly cleans the engine intake air.
- Cover flips up for easy filter service.
- Electronic ignition contributes to fast starts.
Easy service flip-up air filter cover
Replaceable air filter element |
- A rear engine guard protects the engine and provides additional vehicle strength and integrity.
- A flywheel alternator provides plenty of capacity to quickly recharge the battery and power electrical equipment, such as lights.
- 20-amp capacity
- Regulated to keep the battery at a full charge without risk of overcharging
John Deere recommends the use of fuel stabilizer in gasoline. See Fuel-Protect for gasoline engines (8 oz [237 mL]) for more information.
|High-capacity (HC) PRO Mower Decks offer superior cut quality and versatility |
Each Z700 Series ZTrak™ Mower is equipped with either a 48-in. (122-cm), 54-in. (137-cm), or 60-in. (152-cm) HC PRO Mower Deck.
*Not compatible with material collection system (MCS)
Z720E with 54-in. (137-cm) HC PRO Mower Deck |
Z735M with 60-in. (152-cm) HC PRO Mower Deck |
Deep deck design
The mower deck has a deep-deck design:
- Constructed from heavy, 9-gauge, 0.15-in. (3.8-mm) steel.
- Minimizes the number of welds required
- Has a smooth underside for reduced material buildup
- Deep-deck design delivers excellent airflow, so large volumes of material can be processed quickly and efficiently.
- A wider and higher discharge opening provides even clipping dispersal for an excellent finished appearance in all conditions.
- A durable plastic deflector spreads grass clippings evenly across the lawn, is hinged, and can be raised to minimize the storage space required.
- 1-in. (25.4-mm) cold-forged spindles are heat-treated for strength and are supported by ball bearings.
- Standard front rollers and two double-captured wheels provide a more even mowing job and reduce the chance of scalping.
- Adjustable for different mowing heights
- The front edge is raised above the blade plane to allow for even cutting of tall grass.
- Blade overlap is greater than many conventional decks for a clean cut.
- The mower can side-discharge, mulch, or collect material, except a Z740R equipped with Tweel tires is not compatible with a material collection system.
Deep, flat-top deck |
Deep-deck mower design |
A permanent step weldment is located at the left front corner of the mower deck:
- Encourages proper entry to the operator station
- Provides a good gripping surface for the operator’s foot
Reinforced leading edge
Steel reinforcing bars are welded to the front edge and trim side of the mower deck:
- Strengthens the deck to reduce chance of damage from obstructions
- Increased material thickness for longer life of the deck
Reinforced leading edge of mower deck |
Trim side of mower reinforcement/wear bar |
Optional MulchControl™ attachment
The MulchControl attachment makes mulching more practical for many mowing situations because it not only does an excellent job of mulching but it also allows the mower to be easily converted for times when it is more desirable to side discharge or collect the lawn material.
Advantages of mulching grass clippings include:
- A beautiful looking lawn
- Grass clippings not blown onto the operator, driveways, or flower beds
- Less fertilizer use
- Elimination of the effort needed to dispose of clippings
Operator station is designed for comfort and convenience
The operator station is designed for operator comfort and convenience in operating all controls:
- Excellent visibility forward and to the trim side of the deck makes operation easy and comfortable for the operator.
- Controls are color coded for easy identification.
- Twin-lever motion-control levers adjust, using cut-height pin/socket, for convenience and operator comfort.
- Shock absorbers dampen control movements to give smooth operation.
How MulchControl works
MulchControl is an innovative, simple design that is easy to use and maintain:
- The MulchControl attachment includes baffles to control the flow of material under the deck.
- The left mower blade area is completely enclosed and optimized for mulching and will mulch even when the mower is in the side-discharge mode.
- Baffles around the center and right blades are optimized for mulching when the discharge baffle is closed.
- The attachment also includes mulching blades.
Optional 6.5-bu (229-L) ZTrak Z700 Series MCS
The 6.5-bu (230-L) rear bagger efficiently collects material from a 48-, 54-, or 60-in. (122-, 137-, or 152-cm) Mower Deck:
- Hopper, attachment bar/bumper, Power Flow™ blower, and chute components are ordered separately to make a complete MCS.
- A weight bracket and four 18-lb (8.2-kg) weights are included for installation on the front of the vehicle to help counterbalance the weight of the hopper. For proper ballast with complete MCS:
- Four weights are required on a ZTrak Z700 Series equipped with a 48-in. (122-cm) Mower Deck.
- Three weights are required on a ZTrak Z700 Series equipped with a 54-in. (137-cm) Mower Deck.
- Two weights are required on a ZTrak Z700 Series equipped with a 60-in. (152-cm) Mower Deck.
6.5-bu (230-L) hopper and included weights (chute, blower and attachment bar sold separately) |
6.5-bu (230-L) rear hopper, chute, attachment bar, and blower |
MulchControl handle is used to control baffle
The MulchControl handle is located on top of the mower deck and used to open and close the discharge baffle:
- The operator is required to get off of the machine in order to engage or disengage mulch mode.
- MulchControl is well suited to the following mowing situations:
- Operators who usually mulch, but side-discharge when grass gets too long
- Operators who usually side discharge, but would like to be able to close the chute to control clippings
- Operators who always mulch a main lawn, but often side discharge secondary lawns
- Operators who bag clippings, but want to go farther before emptying bags
MulchControl puts the operator in control of the clippings. The operator can have all the benefits of mulching with the ability to easily change to side-discharge or bagging when needed.
MulchControl baffle closed |
MulchControl handle in closed position |
While in the side-discharge mode, MulchControl will still mulch about one third of the material. Therefore, the side-discharge mode is essentially a partial-mulch mode. This can be an advantage when side discharging or bagging, as it helps to reduce the amount of material being discharged. Other times this could work as a disadvantage:
- When cutting strong southern grasses, such as Zoysia and Bermuda
- When cutting in wet, high-growth conditions, such as those found in the Pacific Northwest United States
- When optimum bagging and lawn clean-up is desired
MulchControl is a field-installed attachment and compatible with the 48-in. (122-cm), 54-in. (137-cm), and 60-in. (152-cm) HC PRO Mower Decks available for the Z700 Series ZTrak Mowers.
NOTE: MulchControl attachments and MCS components are not included in base equipment for a Z700 Series ZTrak machine and must be ordered separately.
Tweel is a trademark of Michelin North America, Inc.
The hopper design provides efficient bagging performance, clean operation, and easy-to-empty bags:
- Two durable bags give a generous, 6.5-bu (230-L) capacity.
- The bags lift out for easy emptying.
- An efficient chute provides a smooth flow of material to reduce the chance of plugging.
- The chute and Power Flow blower must be ordered separately.
- Standard mower blades are used for bagging.
- The air exhaust duct directs air from the hopper back and toward the ground for clean operation.
- Convenient latch makes opening and closing the hopper easy.
NOTE: Appropriate hopper, Power Flow blower, chute, and attachment bar are required and ordered separately.
Removing bag from 6.5-bu (230-L) hopper |
Removing bag from 6.5-bu (230-L) hopper |
Operator station is adjustable for superior comfort
The operator station is designed to provide superior operator comfort for many different operators:
- Adjustable foot platform
- Ample legroom for comfortable operation
- Adjustable seat position, armrests, and suspension to suit many operators
- Dialed in for operator height and weight
- Adjustable motion-control levers
- Upper and lower positioning combined with forward and rearward tilt offers more legroom and hand positions
Adjustable foot platform
The patent-pending, adjustable three-position toe board allows any operator to quickly adjust the footrest position for greatest comfort:
- Easily and without tools, each operator can adjust the location of the footrest area to the most suitable position.
- Adjustment range of 2 in. (5.1 cm)
- Large operator platform allows a wide range of foot positions.
Adjustable foot platform |
Large foot platform |
A deep, padded seat combined with adjustable armrests, adjustable fore/aft position, and adjustable suspension springs optimizes comfort for the operator:
- High-back, 21-in. (53.3-cm) seat comes with adjustable armrests and 4-in. (10.2-cm) fore-aft adjustment.
- Seat-adjustment lever is located at the front edge of the seat for easy use by the operator while seated.
Seat with adjustable armrests |
Fore-aft seat adjustment lever |
The seat is securely held down for operator comfort and safety, but is easy to raise when necessary:
- A spring-loaded latch locks seat down when it is lowered.
- The seat is easy to release and raise to access adjustable seat springs.
Additional information about the seat is available at: High-quality seat with adjustable springs and armrests for extra comfort
Adjustable steering levers
Adjustable steering levers are shaped for operator comfort and ease of controlling vehicle speed and direction.
Steering levers in use |
Steering levers, shown in operation position |
|The steering levers offer 18 different positions to accommodate operator preference for hand placement and leg clearance. |
Steering lever height adjustment, low |
Steering lever height adjustment, high |
Cup holder and storage compartment
Operator convenience is provided with easy-to-reach deluxe cup holder and storage areas.
- Cup holder includes room for a cup with a large handle.
- Covered storage under the battery access panel provides protection for important items.
Deluxe cup holder with provision for cup handle |
Protected storage shown with battery cover removed |